[Gpdd] (Care) Teddy's Surgery

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 11:49:06 EDT 2005

Hi all...Teddy's surgery went pretty well, although the vet had to have her under anesthesia a lot longer than he expected--she had a very large cyst (42 grams!) that had to be removed. The vet said he suspected it was actually on one of her kidneys. So her incision is also much larger than expected. All told, she was "under the knife" for a full hour, and he said he didn't want to leave her under any longer than that. She woke up pretty quickly from the anesthesia, but she is very lethargic. She nibbled some lettuce last night and this morning, and she also ate some hay, but I have not seen her drink from her water bottle which has me concerned. I syringed her some water and Critical Care last night and today before I left for work but she really fights me. For some reason she doesn't like the Critical Care AT ALL, but my other pigs love it. Figures the one who needs is is the one that doesn't want to take it.

Anhyoo--I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how I should hold her since the incision site is so large? I feel bad that I have to keep getting her out of the cage, but I don't know what else to do;she won't eat or drink from the syringe while she is in her cage.

My internet is not working, so I am covertly writing this at work : )
Thanks for all your concern!

Stacy and the Squee Squad