[Gpdd] CARE- baby wipes on piggies?

Simon G. Rindy srindy at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 21 16:43:18 EDT 2005

Hello everyone. This is my first post on gpdd, but I have been reading your
informative, heart-breaking, funny, and sweet words for some months now.

I have nine cavies and with every cavy cage cleaning I use unscented baby
wipes--the ones I have currently have a touch of aloe. Just a quick rub over
the coat and then a check of the toes and bottoms and I have nice, fresh
piggies who are not only cleaner but get a good body check on a regular
basis.

I had used baby wipes on my dog and cats previously, after trying the wipes
specifically sold as pet wipes. I compared ingredient lists--have baby wipes
in the house anyway--and couldn't find any significant difference. Baby
wipes are much more economical than the pet wipes, too--especially if you
buy the store brands. With the dog and cats it was only infrequent use, but
I use the wipes regularly on the pigs and to good effect. Saying that, I
understand that some pigs, just like we humans, will show allergic
reactions--so, I'd recommend cautious use, i.e. certainly not using on a
daily basis, and sticking to the unscented and most natural wipes.

Best Wishes,

Simon, of the house of:
Pignocchio, Riquet of the Tuft, Rumplepigskin, and Titánio‹the Boar Beasties
Thalia, Asteria, Sombra, Cajeta, and Bianca‹Las Mujeres

p.s. I also have three Syrian hamsters‹Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego‹who
would be very upset if I talk all this piggy business without giving a shout
out to them. So it is done. J