[Gpdd] Care: Lifting tenderly and Exercise

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 21 20:22:14 EDT 2005

Stacy-
Here's something that's always worked well for me when lifting a pig -
get them positioned on a towel or in a cavy cozy (WE use piggie
pockets!), and carefully lift, taking great care to watch that they don't
fall or try to jump out. It lifts evenly, no fingers inadvertently poking them
somewhere, and they seem to feel safer. We do this with our expectant
mommies, as serious harm can be caused by lifting them.

On the subject of portly piggies - not that I know any personally (ahem!) -
we can watch the quantity of sweet things like carrots and some feeds,
but I would never restrict their hay intake. It is so important to them.
What is probably more important is for them to get exercise (good luck!).
It seems that once they get used to a more sedentary lifestyle (like our
'couch pigs'), just offering them more room, like with floor time, isn't
enough. Snowy, for instance, will just casually stroll to an interesting
spot and plop down.  So you have to get creative - but don't try to push
them too much all at once.
(If anyone knows where to get a piggie treadmill, please let us know!)
As for Peter Gurney calendars - have you checked with Tammy at
Cavy Madness?

On another note - although my computer and connection at home seem
to be working properly, at long last, I am also working again, and my time
available is still very limited. So it is taking me a while to catch up, leaving
little time to write all the sadly necessary condolences on our dearly departed
piggies - I am still shedding tears with each tribute on the Flintster. I think we
can all identify with this!  And although I may not get a reply sent off to each
one personally, I do say prayers for all our little friends suffering illnesses
and undergoing surgeries, etc (and for their slaves as well).  We here at
The Okie Piggies Ranch keep all our friends in our piggie prayers daily,
and count ourselves fortunate to be a part of such a large, wonderful family.

Hopefully we will soon be back in the swing of things here, and get our own
website updated (about to download the camera software now!).
Wheeks to all!

Susi and the Okie Piggies
(including a Mystery Pig!)

Susi and the Okie Piggies