[Gpdd] Health: Sonny is dropping weight like crazy

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 22 23:24:43 EDT 2005

Hi again everyone,

Today, after losing my Chewy-bear, I spent a lot of time with each and every one of my rescue pigs. Sonny, my pig with no top incisors is not doing tremendously well in that he keeps dropping weight. Last week he is 825g, early this week he was 765g, today he is just 725g. So, so small for a boar. He acts normal and I see him eat. His veggies get coated in CC, he gets supplemented with liquid C twice a day, I offer him dry pellets, I wet some of his pellets into a mash and mix it with CC too, which he likes. I give him baby food veggies too. I am going to start spiking his water bottle with juice for extra calories. He cannot seem to manage eating hay so if someone has some suggestions in that arena, I am all ears.

I will be at the vet's with him first thing on Monday. I see him wasting before my eyes. He is one of my senior pigizens, minimally six years old. I know he can't live forever, but I cannot bear to lose another right now.

I had a talking with him today telling him he needed to gain some weight that he was worrying me and I didn't want him to leave me, it wasn't time to go. Tabby, his bonded partner, will be crushed without him. I will be crushed.

People at work today asked how I can become so attached to these guys. Not because they don't understand the pet-slave bond but because I have so many (because of my rescue) and for many of them, my home is just temporary until they move onto their forever homes. But I love and treasure them all. Some of them, like Chewy, are different, but I love them all so much. Whether I have them for a day, or a year.

Thank you for listening. Thank you for your help. It means more than I can ever say...

Lisa, the very heartbroken slave to the Wheeks and Squeaks GP rescue
Missing my Chew-barra, Murr-burr, Mr. Zippy, and Jack so much it hurts...