[Gpdd] Misc: Care and pix

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 23 10:11:09 EDT 2005

JoAnn- Thanks for posting about the importance of diet for our little
guys. You are right, this is so important that it can't be discussed
enough. Especially when we have new members all the time, I'd
hate for someone to miss out on this.  We did start out feeding
more parsley, but have since cut back to just a small amount
chopped over their buffet plates, and only occasionally. I try to
distract them by offering various other greens, like cilantro, endive
and kale, etc.  Also, didn't I read somewhere that they shouldn't
have the dandelion root?  Maybe it was some other root, but when
I am not sure, we skip it. Good time, also, to once again mention
the importance of making sure what we bring in from outside (grass,
dandelions, clover,etc) are free from any contamination. Like from
birds, deer, rabbits, etc - just a bit of some micoscopic bacteria
can make a piggie very sick.

Mikey-Love those pictures!  Now, can you tell us who is who?
(for those of us not fluent in Dutch or German)  At least, point
out yourself and your sister? I think we can figure out those
magnificent piggies - what beauties!

Simon - Love those names!!!  Sounds like you must live in a castle!

Katherine- Luckily I'd missed the bit about the 'questionable picture'
in the magazine (I'll not be more specific here, lest one of the OP's
is reading over my shoulder!).  Of course, I think most of us were
aware that this is done IN OTHER COUNTRIES.  Perhaps where
they cannot readily run down to Kroger's or Albertson's and grab
a package of chicken or hamburger.  Most searches I've done in
the past, looking up 'guinea pig', have resulted in at least a few of
these pictures. My own fault, and I quickly pass by them.  But to
actually publish the picture in a 'reputable' magazine in our own
country?  And the responses you got on 'that other gp website'
were the worst!  I guess it takes all kinds, and we should be thankful
we are free to express our opinions. But that is low.
Just one more big reason to be so thankful for our wonderful group
we have here.
And Truffle is a perfect name!

As for Dr Pigman Freud - that was before my time here, but I would
love to read the columns!  If anyone does have them available, maybe
they could be made available on the website???  Goodness knows
we could use some good advice!

Dawnda-
Of course we all sympathize so deeply with Lisa, and want to reach
out to her with hugs and kind words that will somehow take away
some of the hurt and guilt. But you did such a wonderful job of
explaining it, this should help all of us.  Thanks!

BTW~  Our "Mystery Pig" is a beautiful little swirly, longhaired
Tortoise shell/White boy, bounding around with the others, nibbling
on everything. Dalia is tending to him, so we are assuming he is
hers!  She certainly kept a secret right to the end!

Susi and the Okie Piggies
  (plus one!)

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com