[Gpdd] HEALTH - Hay and Misc.

Conklin Kacee Kacee.Conklin at HCAHealthcare.com
Mon Oct 24 15:08:23 EDT 2005

I used to get Oxbow's 2nd cutting but they discontinued it and I was
getting American Pet Diner's Gold cut which seems more suited to guinea
pigs since it is less stalky.  Usually, my pigs would leave the stalk
part and just eat the softer pieces.  About 6 months ago I went back to
Oxbow and started getting the Orchard Grass.  It is equivalent to the
Timothy Hay in nutrients etc. but is a bit softer.

Lisa, why don't you reach into the bottom of the bag or box and get the
fine stuff from the hay and try to give some of that to Sonny.  You
might even want to try to mix it with some baby food.   I used to take
some Kaytee Exact and add some baby food (carrots seems to be the fave)
to the Exact and almost all of the Munchees would go over and eat some
if there was some out where they could sneak some.  Sometimes the
Munchees would eat the Exact when they wouldn't eat their regular
pellets.  Maybe they liked the pretty colors too.  :-)

Steph, I loved the Winston Churchill quote, by the way.  I always did
admire old Winston ... now I see with good reason!

I am saddened by the losses that have been sustained.  All of us slaves
can relate so well and our hearts go out to each and everyone of you who
have list a fur baby.  Although Kandee had just had an abscess drained
once again, her passing during the night was a shock to me as well as
their vet.  I feel so bad that she passed during the night without me
being there to hold her.   She was only 2.   I keep wondering if it
would have made a difference had I slept on the floor with her.  It
wouldn't have been the first time I did that with one of the Munchees.
But "what ifs" will drive you crazy and you just have to tell yourself
you did your best if the indicators given ... or not given ... at the
time.

Kacee Conklin
Slave to the Munchees