[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Very itchy piggy

Kelly wheekers at comcast.net
Tue Oct 25 10:38:26 EDT 2005

I have a  1 1/2 year old piggy who is very itchy. She was treated for suspected mites along with her housemate in April. Ivermectin was given 3 x 2 weeks apart. Now she is so itchy and going bald. My other pig is fine. Skin scrapings have been negative and they have no contact with anything other than themselves. I use something similar to carefresh bedding. They eat pellets (I'm not sure of brand, I get it from a feed store), timothy hay, various greens and carrots. I have been adding Vitamin C injectable into their water for added supplementation.
I have started her on Baytril and she had a shot of depo-medrol this morning. I have had guinea pigs for 10 years and have never seen anything like this. Any suggestions??
I am a Vet Tech and we are just basically treating her symptomatically to keep her comfortable.
Thanks
Kelly
Checkers
Sexy Lexy-though she's not too sexy now