[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Hand-feeding and Weight Loss

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 12:41:07 EDT 2005

On the subject of hand-feeding and weight loss, my Adrian piggy *loves*
his critical care, he can't suck it from the syringe quickly enough.  I
think if your piggy feels you are tense and anxious they pick this up and
it makes them tense and anxious too.  If you start out with the feeling
"ooh, this is really tasty, would you like some?" you are more likely to
have a positive outcome.  Adrian just sits on my lap and I offer the
syringe, no wrapping needed.  When he has had enough (maybe about 20ml) he
closes his eyes and has a nap.  He gets about 50ml (or more) each day.

About the weight loss, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is the well-being of your
piggy, so general attitude and liveliness and quality of life are key.  My
little Felicity was a 3lb piggy a year ago until her teeth gave her
problems, and she went down to being a 2lb piggy, BUT after her teeth were
trimmed, and with careful feeding she managed to put on weight again and
got right back to her original weight!  That was a 30% weight loss and she
pulled round.  Please do not write off a piggy who loses weight, try to
find out what the cause is and get that treated (it could be more than
one thing).  In Felicity's case she also needed an ovariohysterectomy, as
there was an underlying uterine problem.  She has lost some weight again
recently but she is a happy piggy, enjoying cuddles and feeding, taking an
interest in the world around her, with a good quality of life, and that's
what's most important.

I am afraid I have not been able to post much recently as I have not been
well, and so I send my belated sympathies to all who have lost piggies.
It is so sad to hear such news, but GPDDers understand these things and
are able to offer support and sympathy to others at these difficult times.

Best wishes

Kay