[Gpdd] reply to [Housing] Heating pad

JoAnn Thompson joann_m_t at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 14:22:14 EDT 2005

In response to Michelle's question regarding putting a heating pad beneath her coroplast cage, personally, I would also be cautious about the heating elements over-heating and/or catching fire.

The recommended temperature range for guineas is between 65 and 75 F.  The main thing to avoid is drafts - they are very susceptible to drafts.  Therefore, my recommendation is to make sure that they are in an area of your home free of drafts and keep your home heated above 65.

I've found that my guineas snuggle in their pigaloos in the winter and just being in the pigaloo generates warmth from their body heat.  I also provide a full-spectrum light, which I keep on during the day because winter is so gray and dreary here in MN.  I use a fluorescent full-spectrum bulb in the summer and an incandescent in the winter (the incandescent gives off some heat).

I hope this is helpful.
JoAnn and her little Sierra