[Gpdd] broken teeth :(

sarah stock sarahritz at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 09:35:16 EDT 2005

Hi,

One of my pigs fell out of his cage last night (he was out on the floor when we came home) and has broken his upper teeth. At least one of them, probably both, are completely gone (meaning, we can see an empty socket, it's not like there's a jagged tooth left). The bottom teeth appear fine.

So, far he seems to be acting quite normal, and is still able (somehow!) to eat hay and pellets. He also ate some apple that I mashed up for him.

Any advice (besides keeping the cage door more secure...we've already figured that out!)? Will the upper teeth grow back if they have been completely knocked out? In the meantime, I assume I should have the lower teeth trimmed by the vet at some point? Is there any worry that he is swallowing whole strands of hay instead of chewing them up first (not sure how well hay usually gets chewed anyway!)

Thanks so much for your help,

Sarah & poor Rocky pig