[Gpdd] [HEALTH] help--my pig is sick

Dr Kay Dudman kay.dudman at londonmet.ac.uk
Sat Oct 29 18:39:02 EDT 2005

Terri

It sounds as if it could be a problem with Spunky's teeth.  When you say
he makes a funny sound is it like a grating or clicking sound?  Is his
little chin damp?  This could indicate a tooth problem; a vet can check
with an otoscope to look in his mouth to see if the teeth have overgrown
or have spikes on them. Have you checked his weight?  If he is losing
weight that would seem to add up to not getting enough to eat.

Syringe feeding him Oxbow Critical Care will help by making sure he gets
sufficient nutrients and vitamins.  If you can't get that straight away,
take the little green "logs" from his dry mix (or the nuggets if it's an
all-in-one food) and mix them with some warm water into a paste and feed
him that.  If it is his teeth giving the problem, a vet will need to burr
them down, and it is likely that once they need doing, they'll need doing
again from time to time.

Adding some vitamin C and glucose to his water in the syringe should also
help.

If Spunky *has* eaten something he shouldn't have, guinea pigs cannot be
sick - if it goes in, it has to come out the other end.  Sometimes a shot
of metocloprimide (not 100% sure of the spelling) can help by stimulating
the intestines to get it shifted.  A vet would need to examine Spunky to
make sure there is no obstruction in his intestines.  You'd need to be
careful syringe feeding him if he does have an obstruction.

Reduced droppings could be from lack of food or an obstruction.

What might also help is to massage his little tummy gently.  What I do is
to have my little piggy on my lap, with his bottom towards me and nose
towards my knees, then lift up so his back is against my tummy.  Hold his
hands with my left hand, then massage with the right. Start gently with
right hand flat against his tummy, then move to the left, down to the base
of the tummy, up to the right, then back to the starting position below
the ribs all in one smooth movement, not pressing in hard.  This follows
the direction of the flow in the intestine, so don't reverse the action if
you are left-handed.

You might also  want to check for any wind in his tummy; if you haven't
got a stethoscope what I find works well is to put your left hand over
his bottom (your wrist under his tummy, fingers going underneath towards
his back) then lift him up against your right ear, supporting his back
with your right hand, and his little hands should be resting on the top
of your head.  You should hear some gurgling, normal tummy digestion
sounds.  No sound is bad news; too much gurgling could indicate wind in
the tummy.

Another test for wind is to hold him as for the massage, and tap your
index finger against various parts of his tummy; there should be very
little sound...it there is wind, you will hear a "tonk" hollow sound.
Again, massage should help, but I think you will have to take him to the
vet.

best wishes

Kay

> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:39:04 -0500
> From: "Terri Vanderford" <tvanderf at baptist-health.org>
> To: <Gpdd at gpdd.org>
> Subject: [Gpdd] help--my pig is sick
>
> I am new to the site.  But I have been reading a lot.
I recently acquired a gp and was good up until now.
He seems to be constipated and having problems with his mouth.
He's not eating or drinking  from his bottle and bowl.
although he will eat greens and such.  I am also giving water
to him with a syringe.  only I have to work all day and no one
is home.  I called a vet and he told me to give him milk of
magnesia and an enema.  I pulled what looked like bedding he
had eaten.  So I am guessing he's got that hung in his little
tummy and intestines.  the milk and enema helped but he still
is having a hard time with the mouth.  I am thinking he might
have some of the bedding lodged in his mouth.  He makes a funny
noise when he eats and drinks.  any suggestions other than going
to the vet.  at least he is moving around now.  and is more perky. thanks