[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Babies Born and new rescue

Karen Murphy klynnem at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 29 13:20:44 EDT 2005

Hi All!  Hope everyone has a Happy Halloween--we have some exciting news just in time for celebration!

Vivian, my little Silver Agouti and White sow, whom I rescued a while back only to find out she came with bonuses--she was pregant--finally, finally had her babies!  It was a tough birth as she was way overdue and the babies were large and she is small, so you can do the math.  We had a huge vet bill, but worth every penny as everyone is still hanging in there.

So we have (if we got the genders right this early) two sows and a boar.  The Tri-sow, Golden Agouti, Red and White--silkie hair is named Autumn as she looks as bright as a new-fallen red leaf.  The Lemon, Agouti and White sow is Araminta and she has a quiet dignity that caves in when she sees a toy--she plays like crazy!  The little Cream Boar with a white face is named Ashby.  Ashby was found lifeless while Mama was still in labor, trying to pass three retained placentas.  I did some improvised piggie CPR, and he came around but was very dicey for a while due to the deprivation of oxygen, poor guy.  He is doing wonderfully now and seems like he will have a meaningful recovery, but may be just be a bit special--more than he already was, anyway <gr>

So, all four have needed handfeeding, but are eating more and more on their own--I am so proud of them all, especially Vivian, who worked so hard to bring these precious babies into the world.

As if that weren't enough excitement--I rec'd a call a couple weeks ago about a poor little boar, maybe a year or two in age who was being threatened with being "set free."  Instead, he ended up with me and was intended to be a foster...but, well, I dont' have the best track record in sending out my fosters to be adopted--I get too attached.  He was in a terrible situation, filthy and poorly cared for, will spare the details.  So, Brody is recovering from the neglect and abuse and some minor health problems, gaining weight and beginnning to act like a confident, happy piggie boy.  Once quarantine was up, I introduced Brody and Meekly into a new C & C cage and they loved each other!  They make a great pair and get along wonderfully.  Both boys were very lonely and scared and I have seen them both make great strides and become much braver with a friend.

All, in all, a lot to celebrate!

Karen, Meekly, Brody, Vivian, Autumn, Araminta, and miracle baby Ashby.