[Gpdd] Health: Sonny's update!

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 12:26:00 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I have some good news for once! Sonny has gained 50 grams! He has four food bowls in his cage. One with regular pellets, one with pellets and CC that I mix with water into a mush which he seems to love a lot, one with minced veggies coated with CC, and one with minced hay. He doesn't touch the hay bowl at all.

I also put V-8 juice in his water bottle, diluted 1:4. What I find really funny is I personally dislike regular V-8 juice because I don't like tomatoes. So after his original small can of V-8 was gone, I bought a big bottle of V-8 Splash Berry Blend which I do like because I thought we could share. Well... Sonny does not like Berry Blend and will not drink it. He totally snubs it! The little stinker... So he gets his very own bottle of V-8 juice which he adores and I think helped in his weight gain.

He also gets baby food veggies syringe fed which he doesn't seem to mind. I would like to know how anyone can get the CC to come out of a syringe! It is so chunky-like it always stops up my syringe. He also gets liquid C twice a day which he LOVES.

So we are finally making some progress which soothes my nerves a bit. I will be happier if he can gain at least another hundred grams. We have to do a lot of tooth trimming since he has no top incisors to wear down his bottom ones, but he is such a good boy for that. Then we have it set up to go to the vet every 3 weeks or so to have the vet check his back ones for spurs or spikes.

So hopefully, now that we have his nutritional regimen down, my Son-bun will be with me for a good long time...

I just needed to share my good news :)

Lisa and Sonny, and the rest of the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks GP rescue
Chew-boo, Murray, Mr. Zippy, and Jack, in mem