[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: My sweet piggy Sam

Maren Fouts circuitbreaker at care2.com
Sun Oct 30 09:39:35 EST 2005

As some of you may remember Sam went for neuter surgery on the 20th of October.  He never really returned to acting like himself but I thought it was the medication.  2 days after I took him off of it he was starting to act less like himself.  Thursday morning (I was home thank goodness) I noticed him not eating much.  In three hours he stopped eating entirely.  Fortunately, I had him at the vet.  The Doctor believed he might have an abcess so he went into surgery again, a week later.  It wasn't an abcess, as I was told, it was swollen and necrotic tissue which the doctor removed and I was told that he would be himself again by Saturday morning.  We brought him home thursday night and he was VERY lethargic, not eating, not moving much.  It was obvious he was in a lot of pain.  I stayed up with him all night feeding him Critical Care and took him to the vet first thing. They continued feeding him all day and had him on stronger pain meds.  I was worried about him being left a!
 ll night with no food or monitoring as he didn't accept his last force feeding from our vet's assistants.  We took him to an ER clinic that had a Pig vet working all night.  She tried some subq vitamins and continued supportive care but when I called the next morning she said that she didn't expect him to survive the day.  He continued to get worse.  We went straight there after waking up.  My thoughts were that I didn't want him to die alone, I wanted him to know that I loved him so I said the hardest thing ever.  I told her that I thought we should end his pain and put him to sleep.  I held him and cried and sobbed all over him.  I tried to hold back a little until after he was gone.  He was so weak.

My sweet Sammy died yesterday morning around 8am.  He was only a little over 2 years old.

This has been so horrible for me.  Sammy was my first piggy ever.  He saved me even though some think I saved him.  I got him as a sick piggy from an evil pet store.  I ended up having to take him to the vet myself.  People say I gave him 2 years he wouldn't have had but it's hard to not think that he didn't have to have this surgery.  I was always told that I could reduce old age ailments by neutering him.  I was trying to give me a happy long life.  I didn't know I would be shortening it.  He saved me from excessive depression and loneliness.

Goodbye my sweet boy.  I wish I could have given you the long life you deserved.  I'm sorry you were in so much pain the last days of your life.  I hope you forgive me.  I never meant to hurt you.  You will always be my big pig.  Rosie, Rich and I will never forget you.  Rest well my baby.  You are no longer in pain.

We will always love you.  You will always be in our hearts.
Brokenhearted slaves Rich and Maren and sweet Rosie

Care2 make the world greener!

Tell Congress: Don't abandon pets in disasters!
http://go.care2.com/50041

http://www.Care2.com  Free e-mail. 100MB storage.  Helps charities.