[Gpdd] (Health) Re: impaction and crusty eyes

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 12:55:30 EST 2005

Jaime,
I have the same daily ritual with Max, although the eye crust isn't always daily. I think it's just from old age; my Max has glaucoma in one eye and I think he may be poking it accidentally on hay or something because he can't see out of it to move out of the way. I know eyes can get crusty when they have teeth problems--I'm sure everyone has heard all about the episodes with Max, so I won't repeat them : ) So it's not always a URI that causes eye crustiness.

And then there's the impaction...My Max is just an old man, so I clean him because I love him (he's so patient about it too--I know he hates it, but he almost never makes a peep and doesn't even struggle. He's such a good boy!). I've read that boars don't get impaction if they have been neutered, but I don't really want to put my boys through surgery if I don't have to. I wear unpowdered latex gloves when I do the "cleaning" and it really cuts down on the mess.

-Stacy and the Squee Squad