[Gpdd] Misc: Hurricane Katrina

Carla Martinez cmartinez36 at houston.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 22:28:35 EDT 2005

I was so glad to read about Patricia Gordon's efforts on behalf of the
small animals from Hurricane Katrina. That is wonderful. As someone else
mentioned, seeing all the dog rescues on TV I worried about the small
animals naturally. I am glad to have a place to make a small donation on
their behalf.

Being in Houston where at least 20,000 evacuees have been relocated I
had the chance to volunteer at the stadium complex where many people are
staying. The coordinators told us they had about 23,000 volunteers
today. They advised that volunteers will be needed for weeks to come, as
they anticipate people living at the stadium for the next two months. I
wish I had more chance to talk to a few of them but maybe some other
time.

I got assigned to sorting clothing donations and my husband worked as a
runner to fill people's requests when they asked for clothes in their
sizes. I have never seen such mountains of clothing and bottled water.

According to the Red Cross and other media sources, there are at least
three organizations in Houston that are assisting in caring for animals
from the storm: the Houston Humane Society, the Houston SPCA, and Harris
County Animal Control. I don't know the numbers though. Yesterday at
PetsMart I talked with someone from a smaller local group, Citizens for
Animal Protection, who said they helped by taking about 27 cats. I'm
sure other cities are equally involved in rescues.

Well I just wanted to share this with you. Misty it is great that you
and all the Uineas were so fortunate. The magnitude of this storm is
incredible in affecting all of us.

Healing wheeks to all who need them,
Carla and Snowball with Snickers in our hearts