[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Abscess : Deb's Scarecrow & Soulage

Holly Marr purplecavy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 5 02:11:54 EDT 2005

Deb, my heart goes out to you!  Being sick yourself, and then having to care for a sick Guinea Pig (or multiples thereof) is a situation that is sooo stressful!  Hugs {{{Deb}}}

i've had experience with several GPs over the years who've had absecceses.  i recall 2 different types existed:  one was "encapsulated" in that they were under the skin within a sac, and
were not infectious (typically). These were more nuisance.  Frequently they would get so big and from irritation due to the large size and stretched-thin skin, they'd break through, then drain on their own...and dry out (so long as they did not get dirty and get an infection.  the second type was beneath the skin itself and whatever layer of tissue keeps our "guts in"  i hope that makes sense!  those were infections, caused by germs, and had to be lanced, drained, and treated with antiobiotics.  (the previous benign ones could be left alone, but usually weren't when they got as big as what you described on Scarecrow.)  sometimes the infectious material was not thin enough to be lanced and a small incision was made, about 1/4 inch maxium.  this was NOT closed, and i cleaned it several times a day with a 50% Betadine solution, and kept the site open with a clear antibiotic gel (can't recall what it was right now...)  anyhow...  MY ADVICE:  i am NOT a Vet!  i LOVE my GPs!  i will do
 what i can to help them.  if you can get them to the Vet who can be made to understand that lancing is probably the thing to do, then go there.  but PLEASE, see if a Vet or Vet Tech here can give their opinion! i have given you my honest experiences.  oh, and in my GPs, of 5 who've had them (i've had ~50 GPs by now)  most never got to ~1.5 inches maximum, in 1 it was 4 inches, and in one they just kept coming back and even increasing and appearing up in new places!  again, get more advice to be sure, if you can, do something with a Vet's help (don't take on guilt if something doesn't work!), and stop beating yourself up for "not catching it sooner because your were sick"!   Take care of yourself, girlfriend!

Yours, holly!   Gohan, Pavel, Sonny, Buz & Alfred wave Hello from New Jersey ~~~~~