[Gpdd] Misc: More ideas to help Katrina victims

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 5 17:50:46 EDT 2005

Just wanted to share some thoughts on how we can help the disaster victims...

-about volunteering. SEND MONEY. If people want to see what's
going on with rescue pleas, the New Orleans Times-Picayune's website has a
posting area for pets.
-all those who think they could help there - they are not trained and only
 would be a liability to those who are.
--calculate the cost of gas to Louisiana, just the cost of gas one way,
  not counting food, lodging, etc., and send a donation in that amount
- Also, don't send cash or checks. How can someone in Slidell cash a check?
Use a credit card online. If you don't have a credit card - go buy a prepaid gift card.
Use the internet at the library if necessary.
Speaking of gift cards - volunteer organizations can use those, too.
WalMart (surprised they haven't put one on a cruise ship and anchored it in the
Port of New Orleans hmmmmm...), Home Depot, Lowe's, PetsMart, WinnDixie, Kroger,
or just a VISA gift card. Easy to mail.
Unless a person has a large amount of goods and is willing to pay a private hauler to get
them there - DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Some family in Florida sent a semi
full of kennels, fencing, food, etc., to Noah's Wish in Slidell. Good for them.

Other note -
It is important to keep the big picture in perspective.   So what if they
rescue the animals - who's going to pay to reunite them with their owners?
What a thought.  Take that money and buy gas or an airline ticket. Or a
crate. Pay for their shots and health certificate to travel. Lot of things
people don't think about.

And I liked the suggestion that we think about helping care for animals of those
volunteers who do head down that way. There's lots we can do right where we are.

(I can't take credit for these ideas, I'm just compiling them and sharing!)

Susi and the OP's