[Gpdd] MISC. RE: Several Postings

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:11:21 EDT 2005

Greetings, All - sorry for including so many different responses in one
posting.

THANK YOU:
Words cannot do justice to the gratitude I feel to all of you who have been
so wonderful in offering your thoughts and prayers for my family in
Mississippi and Slidell, LA.  We have finally located everyone and all are
alive and uninjured.  Many of them are "flattened, flooded, or both", but
very happy to know that everyone made it through.  Also, miraculously, all
pets are okay and with their families.  I cannot comprehend the good fortune
with which we were blessed and I will forever be thankful for it.

FASTING:
The absolute longest that I would keep a piggie off food would be three
hours and that would be letting the piggie eat as much as he/she wanted
right to the last second before lifting the food.  Water would be two hours
at very longest (NEVER longer), with VERY good hydration right up until
lifting water.  Piggies should never, NEVER fast "overnight" - when your vet
tells you this, they are basing that on cats and dogs.  DO NOT EVER DO THAT,
and please respectfully tell them why you cannot do it so that they don't
continue to make that mistake with other piggies.  (Lisa, thanks so much for
the fantastic information you posted about this and the incline wedge).

"SECRET SANTA" for KATRINA SURVIVORS:
Count me in!!!  Who do I need to contact??

RABBIT AND INSULATION:
I would listen closely for at least a couple of weeks for any unusual lung
or respiration sounds, i.e. wheezing, snuffling, "croupy", wet breathing
(including runny nose), or labored breathing - just anything that isn't
usual for Harvey.  Also, I would check pooh and rectal area two or three
times a day for a couple of weeks for any unusual discharge or bleeding, or
for blood or mucous in pooh.  The insulation is spun glass and can cause
extreme inflammation if inhaled or ingested but, even in a small animal,
might take a while to show observable symptoms.  I am so glad you found
Harvey.  Please plant a soft kiss right between his beautiful ears for me.

RE: JESSICA FROM LAKE CHARLES:
Donna, thank you for reminding us of her.  Please let us know if you are
able to locate her or any information on her.

RE: LEILA IN M'SIP:
Thank you SO much, Judi, for letting us know that Leila is okay.  I had
really been worried aobut her.  And thanks again, Cindy, for getting her
information to me.

FLINT:
Lisa, I am so glad to hear that dear Flint is doing okay.  I laughed aloud
at your loving care package that you made for him. Wonderful!!!  I know he
appreciated having all of his favorite things to munch on when he woke up.
I have never heard of mushy testicles.  Weird.  Would you please let me know
if you find out anything further on this?  Give that sweet boy a little kiss
for me.  I'm so glad that he is okay.  Oh - also, did they tell you to keep
him away from the girls for another few weeks incase he has any little left
over swimmers?  I was advised to do that with Topper and I just wondered if
other vets advise that as well.

LOVE AND WARM THOUGHTS:
For all of you who have lost a piggie or have a piggie who is ill, it breaks
my heart that I am so jammed up now that I can't write to each and every one
of you personally.  Your situation is one that deserves very induvidual and
specific words of love and comfort.  Please know that I think of each of you
many times each day and, with each thought of you, I am sending love,
strength, healing, courage, and peace.  Truly, you and your piggies (and
other pets) - those who are ill, those who are gone, and those who are left
behind - are being held close in my heart and thoughts.

Candy; Topper and Mollie (and X)