[Gpdd] Misc: Pampering those Pigs

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 9 14:48:01 EDT 2005

The Okie Piggies, for the most part, are not all that crazy about bathtime, but
they endure it, now that they understand that I am not trying to drown them!
I put a washcloth on the bottom of the sink so they don't slip so bad, and
ALWAYS keep one hand on the pig. After thorough rinsing, they get 'fluff dried',
then a careful blow drying - lowest heat, and at a distance of at least 8-10",
moving constantly, and giving them a break now and then. I spritz them with
some leave-in conditioner (I like Thermasilk) so their hair isn't dried out. They
smell so good afterward they are happy.
We have some of those little play pens - too short for some of the guys who
like to travel. But you might try using either twist ties or those metal binder
clips - they come in a variety of sizes, and I doubt a pig could get them undone.
A thought on the little girl leaving her 'piggies' behind - I heard a couple different
reports that they had rescued Vietnamese PotBellied Pigs, so MAYBE that
was what she was talking about. I still believe that any gp's left behind were
clever enough to run for high ground, like elephants before a tsunami! Or at
least catch a ride on the RV - that Ebenezer and his buddies at the Bridge
are likely looking out for all piggies.
I'm glad to hear confirmation on the super powered guinea pig in the movie
Sky High. My grandkids saw it, and have been talking about some Super Pig.
Guess I'll have to see it - and get it for the OP's as soon as its out on video!
Another thought on the ID's for the pigs. We could get dog tags made and
attach to their cages. A lady on tv this morning suggested not only your home
phone number, but a couple message phones as well, including one of an
out of town relative in case your area is out of reach.  I have a  card on the
OP's cage with emergency contact info, in case something should happen
to me, but maybe care instructions would be a good idea, too. Also, what
happens when you have to pull all that stuff out of the carriers to put the pigs
in to make a run for it? Hope it's all in a bag or something, that could be a
bit chaotic. I also try to keep all this handy to an exit, for a quick escape.
A while back this was discussed in respect to fire, but you never know what
might happen.
Lots of good ideas.
Susi and the Okie Piggies

Susi and the Okie Piggies