[Gpdd] HEALTH - re: Abby's symptoms

Andrew a.mills at portset.net
Tue Sep 13 13:23:03 EDT 2005

Hello, I just read about Abby, the guinea pig who is having seizures.  The symptoms you are describing sound classical of a fungal skin infection.  Seizures, hair loss and weight loss are classic signs that a guinea pig is suffering from a fungal skin infection.  She will need either to get treatment from a vet or you could go to Peter Gurney's website and get his recipe for essential oil treatment.  Unfortunately these skin problems are all too common in guinea pigs - we've had many of them over the years we've had guinea pigs.  I think Peter Gurney is right - it's all to do with the climates.  Here in the UK we have a lot of damp, warm weather which is ideal for fungal infections to grow.  I'm not sure what the climate is like in the US but I would imagine it is fairly similar which would mean that the same problems would arise.  I hope this information will help and that Abby will soon recover from her problems.