[Gpdd] Health: My picky eater

Jennifer Langer fairydancer at loveable.com
Tue Sep 13 18:47:38 EDT 2005

I wanted to know if other people out there have had Piggies who suddenly stop wanting their regular fresh foods. My Bob Bob Black Sheep has decided, over the last several months, that the only fresh food he wants is tomatos. I try to give my Piggies a rotating variety of foods including romaine, chicory, escarole, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and occasional fruits. Bob Bob began refusing everything except romaine, carrots, and tomatos a few months ago. Now I can hardly get him to eat romaine and carrots. He used to eat all his fresh food so happily, but he only reserves that excitement for tomatos.

A little background: our vet found a bladder stone in Bob Bob in June. At the time he was losing weight and seemed to have a poor appetite concerning all food. We decided with our vet to opt out of surgery, as Bob Bob had been eating poorly and struggling with weight loss for quite a while (at first we thought the problem was related to overgrown molars). We weren't sure he would do well with surgery. He now gets daily doses of critical care, which seem to spark his appetite and encourage him to eat his pellets and timothy. To treat his bladder stone, he also gets shilintong  mixed in with his critical care.

Other that his waning interest in most of his fresh foods, Bob Bob seems to be doing fine. He is maintaining his weight and we haven't found anymore bloody spots in his urine from the stone. I do tend to worry about my little boys, so I thought I would see what you guys think. Should I be concerned with Bob Bob's changed food interests, or just give him more of what he wants? Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Jennifer and Adam, and PB, Bob Bob, and Boar-is
"To find a beautiful thing, look with an open mind and heart."