[Gpdd] [HEALTH] reply to Jaime re: stones & shilintong

JoAnn Thompson joann_m_t at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 13:19:10 EDT 2005

Jaime, thanks so much for asking about Rugi.  It's funny you should ask!  I just returned from the vet.  I don't have her urine results back yet, but I'd actually be surprised if her UTI isn't cleared up.  My vet did a followup x-ray and her bladder looks dramatically improved.  There is a tiny area that could be some remaining sludge or just her bladder wall, but compared to the previous x-ray where there was definitely a visible area of sludge - that's gone!  I am definitely a believer in shilintong!

Regarding Rugi's abnormal breathing, the vet says her lungs appear fibrous. She explained that they appear to have lost some of their elasticity which is why she breathes heavier than Sierra.  There is nothing that can be done, but she didn't seem overly concerned about this.  Has anyone ever encountered this in their piggies?  Rugi is only 4 years old and has had the care of royalty!

She also had a sebacous cyst cleaned -- was that ever intriguing!  It was actually rather nasty, but I'm sure Rugi will appreciate having that big blob off her leg now!

So, I'm very pleased at the positive progress that Rugi is making.

I was very disappointed with Sierra's outcome, however.  Sierra is a Satin guinea diagnosed with an inability to metabolize calcium in March.  She was hopping and had difficulty moving in the hind quarters and x-ray revealed her bones were moth-eaten.  We began Ca supplementation and clinically, she'd improved so dramatically that I truly expected to see that her bones had filled in.  Unfortunately, that is not the case so I'm quite depressed right now.  However, on the positive, clinically speaking she has improved.  She is active and not limping so my vet suggested to continue supplementation as I have because the positive is that there is absolutely no sludge in her bladder (that was my worry).  So I'll keep up the TLC and prayers.  She's been a miracle for six months so I'll pray that the miracle continues!

Whew!  Aren't you sorry you asked?  Sorry for the book -- that's my update for today!

Wheeks of health and well wishes to your piggies and all of the other gpdd's piggies!

JoAnn, Rugi & Sierra