[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Piggie vet in Southampton/Eastleigh area (UK)

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 04:28:32 EDT 2005

I live in France, so waited to see if anyone local to Southampton would  post
a reply to this. But as no one did ... I posted this same question on the  UK
Pet Guinea Pig Group about 6 months ago, because my daughter's 2 boars were
living in Liss, North Hampshire, and I wanted them castrated. I was recomended
 to Orchard Vets in Romsey, which I gather is not far from Southampton.
Virginia  Richardson, who wrote "Diseases of Domestic Guinea
Pigs", which I have and  find useful, apparently practises there. The details
are: Orchard Veterinary  Surgery, 121a The Hundred, Romsey, Hampshire, SO51
8BZ, Tel. 01794 830288.

My sister only last week rang this surgery to book the boys in for their
castration (she has been very busy!). She was told that so many males have
survived the operation then gone on to die a few days later that they no longer  do
it routinely. They were willing to do it if my sister signed a paper
acknowledging that she was aware of the high risks, but my sister contacted me  and
of course I said no, let's keep the boys entire and accept they can never  move
in with a group of my girls each. They are alone in their cages, but
currently the cages are side by side so they can chat.

So maybe this vet is not good for castrations, but from the bok I would say
they would be competent to treat most piggie ailments - just wish they'd move
to  France!!

Condolences to all who have recently lost furry friends

Debbie and her Dolly Mixtures