[Gpdd] CARE Bedding

Marie-Louise marie-louise at mweb.co.za
Fri Sep 23 00:29:51 EDT 2005

Hi all!

My name is Marie-Louise and I live in South Africa.
I've been enthusiastically reading all your mails for a while now.
Thanks for all the advice, news and entertaining stories.
Guinea Pigs are not as well-known as pets in Africa, but I have always
adored them. So much so that I am in the process of importing piggies
from Holland. Three weeks to go in quarantine and my babies will be home!
May I ask your advice please? Would it be harmful for my
piggies if I used newspaper under the thick layer of hay, as bedding?
They will be sleeping outside in cages that have smooth concrete floors.
My previous piggies were South African bred, very hardy and quite wild
as they had a big garden for themselves. They were fine without a layer of
newspaper in their housing, but this new housing is far bigger and I thought
it would make cleaning easier and their sleeping quarters cosier.

To those who were affected by Katrina, you are in my prayers.

Marie-Louise