[Gpdd] Behavior: Smart Piggies

FroggyEMT442 at aol.com FroggyEMT442 at aol.com
Wed Sep 28 19:51:02 EDT 2005

Hi All!
I love the 'how smart are you piggies'  topic.
Well, we are just a little over a month into living in  the piggie world...
And I must say Wow!! Its been wonderful.

In just a month I have discovered quite a bit about Ben  & Tommy. They too
know the difference between veggie bags, the hay bag &  the plain crinkle of a
plastic grocery bag. They completely know what No means.  Stops them in their
tracks. A human sneeze sends them into hiding.

If I vary their routine by even a little, they pout.  There is no sleeping
late on Saturdays anymore. They expect to be fed by 7am  everyday.. 7 days a
week. Slept till 8am this past Saturday & they would not  come out of their
pigloo's until noon. They both drug all their food into their  pigloo & ate inside.
Ben even went so far as to not leave the pigloo even  for water. He stayed
inside & drug the pigloo to the water bottle, just  close enough to stick his
head out to drink. He looked like a turtle with the  pigloo attached to his
back. So funny!

Ive gotten in the habit of mornings they have their  'salad' & afternoons
when I get home from work they have 'fruit'.. Obviously  I should have possibly
rotated the routine a bit. At this point, do not try to  give fruit in the
morning & salad in the afternoon now. They wont have it.  They will sit at the
bowl & squeel , I quickly realized what they were  doing. They are addicted to
their routine.

They both know where home is. Tommy seems to be more  keen to his name than
Ben. Ben has no clue what his name is. Ben insists on  turning every thing in
his home upside down by dinner time. He turns his pigloo  upside down, as well
as and bowl or plate. He also spits water in his pellet  bowl. He gets a mouth
full of water then goes directly to the pellet bowl &  spits it out. Tommy is
an accomplished escape artist. His entire life is devoted  to figuring out
how to escape their corral, which takes up my entire den floor.  He is also
intrigued by the news tidbits that scroll across the bottom of CNN  & MSNBC. He
just cant figure out where they go to.
While Tommy is happy eating any fruit or veggies, Ben  hates strawberries. He
can have 1 tiny piece on the plate, he will find it &  kick it off the plate.
He then buries it under the closet object he can find.  Ben likes to cuddle
with the dog (Austin) & the kitty (Kayla.. shes the  boss). Where as Tommy
likes to stalk them. He hides around corners &  attempts to attack them when they
walk by.

Two very distinct personalities. The best personalities  you could ever hope
for.