[Gpdd] HEALTH--Sludge Recipe ingredients

Karen Murphy klynnem at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 01:20:06 EDT 2005

Hi Link, Metacam is definitely prescription.  Cosequin was, I believe, originally a horse product available in large quantities without  prescription.  It is basically a glucosamine/chondrointin supplement.  I am not sure about the cat form of Cosequin listed in the recipe Leah mentioned.

I did notice a couple people mention that their piggies hate the feline cosequin because it is ?tuna? flavored for cats.  (makes me wonder to if it has animal products in it?)  I am wondering if it would be possible to get the horse product and get an appropriate dosage from the vet for a piggie.  Horses generally just eat Cosequin as a top dressing for their grain and do not protest the taste at all.

Overall, my instinct is that, *given appropriate vet guidance on dosage*, horse/other vegetarian products would work better than cat/dog products, for piggies.  My greater experience is, of course, bunnies--as I am new as a piggie slave, but they do have some care and diet aspects that are similar--and horse products work great for bunnies.

Hope this helps some
Karen, Meekly, Vivian