[Gpdd] Behavior: My Smart piggies

BARRINGER JAMIE MAE barringj at ucsu.colorado.edu
Fri Sep 30 16:59:06 EDT 2005

Gus and Sonja are rascally critters. Gus, a long haired red-orange boar,
is sweet and cuddly during lap-time, but he absolutely hates any sort of
grooming, including combing, brushing, hair trimming and of course nail
trimming. He likes to drag his hind end in the most disgusting corner of
his cage, and every time he is replaced in his newly cleaned cage he
immediately poops and pees in a corner and sits in it. Thus he requires a
lot of grooming if he is to not stink. But he's so cute about it. I scold
him when he sits in his newly created potty corner, and he looks at me
like he knows I don't like what he's doing. Then he popcorns a few times
and ambles around his cage, wiggling his disgusting butt fur at me. His
girl-pig Sonja, shorthaired, thankfully, is a much cleaner, and sassier
pig. She likes "lap-time" only if it involves a pile of towels or a
blanket she can burrow into for a nap. If I try to pet her during her
blanket time she looks at me crossly, like 'who are you to disturb me in
my blankets?'
They both love carrots, and at 11pm every night they stand on their hind
legs against their cage wall to recieve carrot sticks in their waiting
mouths. If I am late they wheek very loudly at any sound that comes from
our kitchen until they get their carrots. If I give them other veggies
they like those too, but only in addition to, not in place of carrots.

Oh, and Sonja used to spit water on her food before she moved in with Gus.
She would fill her mouth with water and walk over to her food whereshe
would spray the water deliberately over her pellets. Only when they were
sufficiently drenched would she begin to eat them. I think Gus scolded her
for that a few times when they moved in together, cause she doesn't do
that any more.

Jamie Barringer with Gus and Sonja, and the hammies Perci and Dulci