[Gpdd] MISC: RE: another guinea pig addict & goodbye to Muttley

Marsha Neely matilda at ptsi.net
Tue Apr 18 01:03:14 EDT 2006

Birdie,

My name is Marsha, and I am a gp addict.

First of all, thank you for your kind words when my Muttley passed after
bladder stone surgery at the end of December.  I've never written much to
the digest, but I'm always very busy (or, at least I think so).  I'm going
to try to be a more active participant, so I thought I would tell you a
little about myself.

I've got 3 years on you, Birdie, as I turned 49 last week.  I am the
Victim's Advocate/Shelter Supervisor (Computer Administrator, Legal
Advocate, blah, blah, blah) at a domestic violence and sexual assault crisis
center where I have worked for 12 years.  My work week is anywhere from 45 -
90 hours per week, so I occasionally get behind on reading the daily digest.
I do, however, read them all.  The digest has been a great source of
understanding, consolation, and knowledge for me, and I am very greatful for
you all.

I think I am finally ready to say some words about my Muttley.  His Highness
King Muttley Bejabbers was the first guinea pig I had in years.  He was
several months old, and I got him through an ad on a local website.  He was
living with a family who no longer had time to care for him.  I had several
piggies growing up, but I never had one like him.  I got Muttley just a few
months after getting a divorce, so he will always hold a special place in my
heart. I always sang "You Are My Sunshine" to him, and I sang it to him the
day he died as I was driving him to the vet for his surgery.  Now, I can
barely handle hearing the song.  Five years ago on my birthday, Muttley was
running around in his room, and I got down on the floor to talk to him.  He
waddled over to me and gave me a kiss on my chin.  This was very, very
unusual for Muttley, and I was excited because it happened on my birthday.
About one hour later, my dad called to tell me that my grandmother had
passed.  How weird is that?

Muttley was very opinionated.  If he wasn't in the mood to be social, he let
me know.  I would reach out to pet him, and he would get up, move over about
2 or 3 inches, lay back down, and look at me out of the corner of his eye.
Alrighty, then!  I wish you all could have met him, but I'm sure you all
feel the same way about your babies.

When Muttley passed on December 30th, I was completely heartbroken.  I
wrapped him in a brightly colored scarf and put him in a sturdy shoebox.  I
put one of his favorite toys in the box, and one of my friends, Lorinda,
took me to another friends country home.  They have a hill out there where
they have always buried their family pets.  My friends husband, Bob, had
already dug the grave, so I told Muttley goodbye one last time.  I put the
box in the ground and Bob asked me if he could read the 23rd Psalm.  After
he read the passage, Lorinda said a prayer, and Bob finished burying
Muttley.  How good are my friends?

Anyway, I'm crying again, so I'll leave you with those thoughts.  I guess
Trixie senses that something is up and she has started chirping at me.  I
made it through Muttley's passing with the help of the rest of my herd, my
friends, and the wonderful people of this digest.  To all of you who
personally emailed me, thank you so much.  You'll probably be hearing more
from me in the future, and, for that, I apologize in advance.

Marsha
The Bejabbers (StinkerBelle, Ozzy, Trixie, Elvis)
Bart, the big dog
In memory of Muttley, PitterPatty, and Baby
www.bejabbers5.blinkz.com

 and 11th guinea pigs. I have not stopped