[Gpdd] MISC - new piggie help

Alison Varndell avarndell at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 14:39:11 EDT 2006

Dear Jaime,

Congratulation on your new piggie.  She's a very lucky girl to have found you.  I definitely understand your worry.  I rescued 2 eight-month-old boars 3 months ago.  They'd been neglected by their first owners and were extremely underweight and matted.

I'd had a number of piggies before, but only 1 rescue one.  I found the boys' behaviour really worrying.  They certainly didn't eat mix for about 4 days.  They ran away from vegetables as if they were poisonous and they sat at the back of the cage with their faces to the wall and their noses in the air (The 'I-can't-see-you-so-I-guess-you-can't-see-me posture.)  All they would eat was hay.  Then they started eating a little at night time, when they were sure we weren't watching.

They've gradually come round though, and are 1000 times better than they were.  However, I don't know whether they'll ever be as friendly as some of the piggies that I've known since birth.  On the other hand, I bought a pregnant sow from a petstore and so I had 3 siblings from birth, bringing them up in exactly the same way, yet they were all very different - one extremely nervous, one independent and the third extremely loving and sociable.

Anyway, I'm sure she'll be okay.  My thoughts are with you.  Good luck.

Alison, Pepsi, Marcel and Bertie
xxxxx