[Gpdd] MISC, new piggie help

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:01:52 EDT 2006

Some thoughts to share with Jamie on your new little friend:

Dear Jamie --

Please take heart and give your new little piggie lots of time.  Sounds like
she's gone from home to home, and perhaps was barely handled or shown much
love by anyone, especially when you mention that there were allergies. Plus,
moving around so much is so traumatic.  It's good you're taking her to the
vet to check out her health -- barring no physical health problems, it
sounds like she is just very depressed and perhaps a bit traumatized right
now.

My downstairs neighbor just rescued a beautiful piggie from a laboratory.
He is healthy and probably around two, and/but was probably never handled by
anyone in an affectionate manner and never bonded with anyone.  The first
few days he stayed in his house all day and barely moved, except to come out
once or twice to eat when my neighbor was not around.  Now he is slowly
beginning to come out in the open when she is there, and showing some signs
of enjoying being held.  But this is two weeks later, and he is still very
shy and quiet.  I bring my pigs over to say hello from time to time, and we
think this helps a little, but he still stays frozen much of the time and we
expect it will be weeks to months before he becomes really comfortable and
knows that he is in a loving environment.  I don't remember whether you have
other pigs or not, but perhaps being around other pigs will help her come
back out into the world.  Jsut sounds like she's been terribly lonely, and
since guinea pigs are animals that thrive from attachment she must now be
feeling simply lost and vulnerable to have moved yet again without
continuous contact with anyone (pig or human) she has been in relationship
with.

Perhaps one way to reframe the situation is to think how wonderful it will
be if you and your new piggie can develop a relationship over time that can
be healing for both of you.  Albert sounds very unique and wonderful.  There
will never be another pig quite like him.  On the other hand, your new
little sweetie is unique too -- in ways that you cannot predict untill you
know her much better and much longer.

My two cents for what they're worth.  I wish you and your new pig a
wonderful relationship over time, as you allow her the space and possibility
to express her beauty and uniqueness.