[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <Colloidal silver and suggestions for Radar>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 09:14:46 EDT 2006

Hi All,
I was just searching for info to help Jan and his lump (my best bet now is
that it is an abscess) and on my favourite dutch site there was an
interesting topic about colloidal silver. I don't know if anyone has any
experiences with this stuff but i'll try to give a good translation.
First of all, they suggest that when a abscess opens, you should flush it.
You can do this with betadine but the people from this site that have a very
big guineapig shelter have had very good results flushing with colloidal
silver. I'm still pondering if i should buy this. So please consider that
the translation below is a translation and not my personal opinion or
experience. I just want to share this information with you.
Around 1900 doctors discovered that c. silver is a very good antibiotic but
since it was expensive to make and due to the rise of the anti-biotics as we
know them, they sort of forgot about it. Now that many nasty thingies are
becoming resistant of many antibiotics c. silver gets more attention.(sorry
for the crappy translation) First of all, silver gets rid of many harmfull
bacteria but it doesn't harm intestinal bacteria. Silver also does not have
side-effects. But there is this one effect they call the herxheimer
reaction. The animal can get very drowsy and slow because the body has to
work very hard to get rid of all the bacteria and fungi the silver kills.
A nice side effect is that it speeds up bone-growth and it stimulates the
speed of healing damaged tissues with more than 50%. Apparently they have
gotten especially good results with burn victims and elderly animals. okay
the original text is much longer but i think you catch my drift (email me if
you want to know more).
You can give piggies c. silver twice a day (6 to 8 drops per 10 kg
bodywheight) (so usally 2 drops twice a day).
Because someone mentioned betadine to help clean Radar's skin, i thought
maybe this might also be good. Especially since it stimulates damaged skin
to grow and heal faster. I feel very bad for him though, since healing skin
is very itchy(and he IS our special hammie honorary member ;-)). So even if
it might get better, it will become more itchy and maybe worse.
A vet once advised us to spray perfum on lotje when her skin was damaged
after a mites infection and started to heal and itch. The perfum helped
really well since lotje and most piggies dislike the taste of perfum. But i
wouldn't do it when the skin is still damaged (it will hurt!!!). and it
sounds like something permanent since the poor little guy cannot scratch
with his paw. And I don't think it's very nice for him to smell like a
stinky human all day.
(btw the perfum tip helps great for furniture too! My piggies used to chew
on my television furniture, but now they don't anymore. Except for Jan, he
is a sweetheart but when he gets something in his little head there's no
stopping him :-S)
Okay, have to surf the web some more looking for information for Jan. Have
to prepare to be the best overly-concerned slave i can be tomorrow at the
vet's ;-).
Grtz
Janneke from the winky girls
http://winkysgirls.hyves.nl/