[Gpdd] misc: another beautiful relative

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 2 18:25:04 EDT 2006

Another large and lovely relative of our dear little piggies is the
patagonian cavy, also I believe called the mara.  They are not quite as
large as capybaras.  When you look at pictures of them you can see the
resemblence to piggies, but they have a very different body shape with long
legs-- they look kind of like a cross between a deer, a rabbit, and a guinea
pig.  They can reach up to about 30 pounds in weight and can run up to 18
miles per hour.  According to one site they are very vocal and sound a lot
like guinea pigs. Here are some websites with photographs and info:

http://www.garlynzoo.com/pages/Young_Patagonian_Cavy.htm
http://www.blackpineanimalpark.com/Animals/patagonian_cavy.htm
http://www.pawprintonline.com/central-pcavy-101.html

This particular website has pictures and information about a number of our
piggies' cousins:

http://www.buddies.org/kvsource/cousins.html

Also for more trivia, and for anyone who thinks they know everything there
is to know about guine pigs, I have found a guinea pig "quiz" on the
internet.  Here is the site:  http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/Cavy-Quiz.htm

Have fun!

Ruth in Portland