[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Biting piggie

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 4 14:04:16 EDT 2006

Ann-
  Sounds like little Lucy is just reacting to her new environment. She is still
  afraid, and so is trying to defend herself from what she perceives to be a
  danger (did you pick her up to eat her? are you a coyote in disguise? her
  mommy probably warned her about such dangers)
  Probably your best approach right now is simply patience and reassurance,
  she will certainly decide your are ok, after all, one of these days. In the
  meantime, simply find ways to keep your fingers, etc, out of reach of her
  sharp little teeth.  If she can't manage to bite you, she can't develop the
  habit, can she?  I've found that if I tuck a finger in close under the chin
  it's hard for them to get their teeth on you.  Once in a while I have a little
  one who thinks they need to nip to get free, but I've found that holding
  them close seems to reassure them.
  And talk to them, try to avoid things that startle them, of course. Like
  loud noises, sudden movements, you know, the things that can cause
  a stampede!  I've found myself sometimes raising my voice at Bullett
  for being obnoxious toward Corky, then realize that I'm holding a baby
  who doesn't understand that I'm addressing somepig else. Then too,
  I've found that there are simply some pigs who have learned to deal
  with things by biting. It takes a while for them to unlearn this, just be
  patient, reassuring, and keep your fingers out of the way!  They're
  much like horses in this respect, usually when they lash out by biting,
  kicking, etc (yes, I've been kicked by a pig!), it is out of fear.
  You just have to try to understand them, maybe call on the Pig Whisperer.
   ;-)
  Piggie hugs'n'kisses to little Lucy
  Susi & the Okie Piggies