[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Latest update on Wallie--still not eating

Ginger Hoffman gingera at MIT.EDU
Sun Aug 6 22:24:56 EDT 2006

Dear GPDDers,

First, thank you so so so very much for all of your individual emails.
I feel less alone going through this ordeal.  I know everyone says it
again and again, but this is truly a great community and I'm very
thankful for it.

Secondly, I'm sorry if I'm behind to responding to posts made to the
list, but I have been having my messages delivered in digest form.
I've now set it to have them delivered individually.

Today Wallie seemed a lot worse, unfortunately.  He was shuddering, and
refusing much of the force fed critical care.  In response, they
increased the number of subQs they are giving him (they are worried
about his heart murmur so haven't been giving him as much fluid as
possible.  They are now giving him three a day).  He's on the highest
possible dose of pain medication.  They've also now put him on baytril,
just in case.

If he makes it to tomorrow (I can't believe I even have to say that!),
they will do an ultrasound to figure out where the stones are and if it
makes sense to operate.  My understanding is that if they are in the
kidney and/or the ureter, surgery is probably not worth it?  In that
case, I guess I have to just hope he starts eating???

On another note, so far the bill for this has been $562.  After tonight
and if they do the ultrasound, it will be around $850.  That's before
the surgery, which is about $1000!  I may be able to get financial aid
from the hospital to pay for half of it, but only half.  And my
boyfriend said he would help out with the money (isn't he awesome?
Wallie is our child--we both love him more than anything).  I'm not
trying to complain--I think Wallie is worth all of the money in the
world.  It's just that I don't have all the money in the world.  Out of
curiousity, do those figures sound high to you?  And, in the future, do
any of you know a good exotics vet around Boston that's a little
cheaper?

Thank you so much.