[Gpdd] HEALTH: Neutering

Conklin Kacee Kacee.Conklin at HCAHealthcare.com
Tue Aug 8 13:07:42 EDT 2006

My vet charges about $100 and he is pretty reasonable, especially with
me.  I get a volume discount with an average of ten piggies.  I would
say then that $120 is not terribly out of line.  I suspect it is more
expensive than dogs or cats because it is more difficult working on
these little creatures.

I know Peter Gurney ... and many Digesters ... are totally against
neutering but if you have it done by a competent exotics vet, it is
generally a safe procedure.  All of my males have been neutered (@ 8
over an 8 year period) and none have had any problems as a result of the
neutering.  You should have the male done rather than the female since
it is less invasive for the male.  If you have a male and female, the
responsible thing is to have the male neutered since there are so many
unwanted piggies out there that need homes.  I don't think anyone should
make you feel guilty about going forward with the neutering so that your
two can be together.  Even if you got another piggie of the same sex,
there's no guarantee they will get along.  I suspect there is greater
probability of dominance issues with two males together.  On the other
hand, females also have dominance issues.

I have had my males neutered so that there could be what I call "munchee
mingling" where I let everyone out on the floor at the same time to play
without anyone getting pregnant.  If a female gets pregnant after about
9 months or so, this can be dangerous to the female as her pelvic bones
start to fuse at about that age.

While I am all for getting piggies of the same sex, if that's not
possible then neutering is an acceptable solution.  But, it is surgery
and there are always risks associated with any surgery.

At this point, I am only getting females so that I don't have to deal
with the expense of neutering the males since my 3 boys are neutered.

On another note, I have read with great sadness the posts relating to
the loss of piggies.  It breaks my heart to hear of these losses and my
thoughts and prayers are with each one of you.  I lost my very special
Kozmo not so long ago and sweet Kazingo so the pain of loss is still
very much there and I know how hard it is for each and every one of you
who has lost one of these special little guys.

Kacee, slave to the Munchee Ten