[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Misc Parts

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 13:21:43 EDT 2006

Here's another indication of a piggie's age - the toe nails.  A young pig will
  certainly have smaller, more delicate nails than an older piggie. I have some
  young pigs who are larger than some older ones, so size isn't always an
  indicator.  Good luck getting any information on the breeder from the store,
  manager or not. As a rule, they will not divulge their sources.  You may
  have to just accept what they told you, designate a birthday, and go from
  there. At least you'll be close!

  As for the neutering issue, I definitely understand both sides, have done it
  myself, once.  Still, I stand on the side of not doing it if there is a way
  around it.  But if it is to be done, prayers and very careful attention to
  every recovery detail will likely get you through with flying colors. With our
  Lil' Whistle, he was spoiled beyond belief. I made sheets from tshirts,
  putting down 2-3 layers over the entire cage floor, with additional, smaller
  sheets in his bedroom corner, which also had curtains to give him some
  privacy, etc. These got changed 2-3 times a day. He was checked, cleaned,
  hand-fed, etc - I think he pretended to be still in recuperation far longer than
  necessary!  I swear I saw him wink at CocoPuff more than once!.

  Susi & the Okie Piggies

  Snowy says "If you go in for a manicure and pedicure every wheek,
  you can keep the boys guessing about your age!"