[Gpdd] [CARE] Behaviour - Aggressive Piggie

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 11 05:16:31 EDT 2006

Dear Julia

When I first got my two pigs (boys) one was (and still is) the more
dominant.  Artie is like your Persephone and just takes whatever BG dishes
out.  BG is so bossy.  This has improved a lot, as I have tried to take some
of the tension out of things.  At one point they just had the one big box to
share in their run and sleep in, but BG would push Artie out, so now there's
two smalller identical boxes!  It stops some of the conflict and Artie
doesn't have to be 'left out'.

Getting them to play together on the floor with lots of boxes and tunnels to
play in and explore can help burn off some aggressive energy, and making a
fuss of your pigs in front of one another can help them see none of them is
favoured above the other.

For a while I even had problems with Artie eating his own food, because BG
would frequently approach Artie and snatch Artie's food from his mouth and
run off!  So for a time I gave them the same amount of food each, in their
own 'space' so that the conflict died down a bit.  They now share their food
together just fine.

Some of it I am certain was jealousy, and there might be some of that
happening with your two temporarily at the moment.  It may be they feel the
need to sort out the pecking order of who's in charge again.

Sharing things out like boxes and hid-aways and food - just for now, not
forever - may help cool things off again, and take the conflict out of the
situation.

Good luck

Carole