[Gpdd] CARE--keeping boys together

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 12 06:54:19 EDT 2006

Dear Amy

I have two male pigs and have owned them since they were about 3 months old.
Neither are neutered and they get on like old buddies, and they really do
think the world of each other.  I have read in guinea pig care books that
males together should be neutered because they will otherwise fight, but I
personally think this is total rubbish -- my two would certainly argue that
one as well if they could talk!

When I first got them, one was more dominant than the other, but they have
to sort out the pecking order, and because they were odd tiffs about who has
what (sleeping boxes/ igloos etc.), they have one of each!

They are the best of pals, and as long as you monitor the situation and
encourage things along, yours will be, too.  It is so rewarding to see them
together being best mates.

Peter Gurney says the following about castration:-

CASTRATION
In the main I am against this, preferring to deal with birth control by
housing sows and boars separately. Never fall for the old nonsense that
castration will have a marked effect in lowering aggression. In a very few
cases it will have a marginal effect but in the majority of cases, it will
have no effect whatsoever.
There is always a risk in any surgical procedure and as selective housing is
a very effective alternative I do not think the risk should be taken. If
owners feel they need to have their boars castrated then have it done by a
vet with a proven record of success in surgery on small animals.

Good luck  Carole