[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Paralysis

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 14 04:38:57 EDT 2006

Dear Rei

If you are in the UK, I believe you can pick up Osteocare from most health
shops (might be an idea to call first to see if they have stocks).  In the
US it may go under a different name, but you could call Osteocare to find
that out:  http://www.osteocare.com/uk/    On their website I saw they do a
liquid form of it -- which might be easier to administer to a guinea pig?

Here's a link on what Peter Gurney says:-

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/paral.htm

He also says the following additional info:-

PARALYSIS
There is a relatively common condition that can occur in guinea pigs for
which we have never found satisfactory explanation. It is a paralysis, which
happens overnight in the hindquarters of a guinea pig. It is very
distressing to see the animal pulling itself around with its front legs but
it will be noted that it pulls with great vigour, still has a very healthy
appetite and there is no indication in any other way that there is anything
wrong, pulse and respiration being normal.
The cure is heavy doses of liquid calcium, 0.5 night and morning on the
first day, slipping back to 0.5 daily until the animal is back on its feet,
which usually takes two to three days. Note this only works in these
circumstance, and not if the guinea pig is paralysed as the result of being
dropped or has a gone down over the course of a few days, with other
symptoms such as alterations in heart rate and respiration. These cases
always need more investigation and treatment by a guinea pig competent vet.
Calcium is not only important for good health in bones and teeth, it is also
vital for the nerve impulses into the muscles, which make them contract. Why
this only seems to affect the rear end of the animal is a complete mystery.
If this problem is caused by a lack of calcium, which it seems to be,
considering the cure which always works, it is either because for some
reason the gut flora are not absorbing the calcium and by flooding the gut
with it, enough is taken in or it is not getting enough calcium in its diet.
The latter is most unlikely for it should get more than enough via its dry
feed and in all the cases I have come across there has been absolutely no
change in the diet.
This is yet one more proven cure that is dismissed out of hand by most in
the veterinary profession. By proven I mean by those who have had more
practical experience of keeping these animals than any professional vet. The
problem is the same old one of only so-called scientifically set-up tests
being considered acceptable, not lifelong practical experience of treating
these animals by years and years of hands-on experience.

Hope this helps.  Carole