[Gpdd] [Health] - Update on my Baby Bear

Julia Kennedy tabithaporter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 06:18:14 EDT 2006

Thank you so much to so many of you for taking the
time to write to me about my little baby.  I thought
you would like an update.

After I wrote my post on Thursday morning, her
breathing got really bad – the CCT had told me to give
her a bath when she got home from the vet on Wednesday
night, so that some of the fungal infection would be
treated, and this would help with the fitting.  Don’t
know if it helped or not, but the CCT thought that she
may have got water in her lungs when she had the bath,
so I got a diuretic from the vet to help her breathing
but it didn’t seem to work.  I phoned the vets and
they told me to bring her in.  I was shattered when I
got there to be told that I would have to leave her
there – she was in such a bad way, I really thought
she would die.  However, when I phoned at 5 pm, they
said that they had given her oxygen and that she was a
bit better – I could have her home for the evening but
she would have to spend Friday with them.  This suited
me fine as I couldn’t take another day off work.

When I went to collect her on Friday, she was
obviously SO much better, although still not right.
Unfortunately, the drug that the CCT had recommended
had been ordered, but not delivered.  The vet had
phoned all the other vets in the area and the CCT, but
as the drug is so expensive, no-one had any, so we
have to wait til Monday for it to come in.  She came
home with me on Friday and, although, she is not back
to normal, she has improved 100%.  Her limbs are still
stiff, but she is now managing to eat for herself.  I
have put rolled up towels all around the sides of her
cage so that if she fits, she won’t hurt herself,
however, she seems to have turned into a mountain goat
as, for the past 2 days, she keeps climbing up on them
to see what’s going on outside her cage!  She is
definitely more mobile!

We should get the drugs tomorrow, so fingers crossed
she will make a full recovery.  I had my first full
night’s sleep last night, so I feel better today as
well!

I will keep you posted!

Warm wheeks!

Julia, Cordelia, Persephone, Paddington, Emily and Bearlette