[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care: Hay and Toys

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 21 00:31:10 EDT 2006

Our favorite hay is the KayTee Timothy, and their Alfalfa is very good, too.
  The Oxboy, of course, is great, but more expensive. With a few more pigs
  than many of you have, we buy good hay locally by the bale. Here we
  have to get mostly Bermuda and prairie hay mixed. Here I've found that
  the first cutting is best - generally a bit more nutrients, and less dusty.
  Some prefer the second cutting as it is a bit coarser and so more
  chewing.  So it's a matter of preference. Just watch it carefully - this
  last batch we got has bits of thorn bush in one bale, so I have to
  pick through each bit before feeding it.
  For the most part, the OP's enjoy toys made of toilet paper rolls.
  Corky enjoys his so much he picks it up and runs off with it if he
  thinks someone might take it away.  I'd mostly given up on any
  of them taking much interest in actual toys I'd purchased for them,
  but I've noticed two of little boys, Jonesy and Rocky, running around
  after a little ball about the size of a plum. They take turns pushing
  it around and jumping on it, not sure what ball game they're playing.
  They still enjoy tv, of course. Especially Sat morning cartoons, and
  rodeo and Nascar races. And occasional music programs.
  Which brings me to one more story, since it was just brought up.
  Earlier today there was some music on tv when I heard something
  extra. I had to turn the tv down to be sure, and there it was - a steady
  chirping. I managed to quietly peek around until I saw who it was -
  Sheena, Buzzerre's girl.  Its funny how all the other pigs get very
  still when this happens, it seems to be a very special occasion.
  In fact, they're all so still, with a sort of distant stare, that it's hard
  to tell who's singing. I only identified her by her sides moving with
  the chirping.  But it is quite an honor to witness this, and this time
  she went on for several minutes.
  Perhaps she can be persuaded to make special appearances at
  some of the upcoming Virtual Outings!
  Susi and the Okie Piggies