[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Water

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 14:14:06 EDT 2006

Marsha-
  You're right to be concerned about your drinking water.
  You may not want to serve Evian to your piggies, but
  you can get drinking water or spring water by the gallon
  that's not too expensive. Then you can save those
  gallon jugs and fill them whenever you're somewhere
  that has safer water!  I used to work for a newspaper
  where I published the legal notices, and there were
  always those where the local water company had to
  publish notice that they had failed their test and that
  the local drinking water had a certain percentage of
  something yucky. Sometimes they'd even suggest
  boiling the water until things were under control again.
  So you could always boil your water, too, if you're
  concerned. Perhaps you could take a sample of your
  water to the local health dept. to be tested, though
  you would have to do that periodically as things can
  change.
  What I find works for us is filling several gallon jugs
  with tap water, then let them sit 24 hours or so before
  using them.  This gives some of the additives, like
  chlorine, time to dissipate (so I'm told).  I also add
  just a bit (maybe a tsp or so) of apple cider vinegar
  to the water; it is a natural way to neutralize many
  contaminants.  This is a small enough amount that
  the piggies don't mind the taste, if they even notice
  it - you could start with a smaller amount. This AC
  Vinegar is good for many uses - check it out on the
  web.   Anyway, we have done this for 2-3 years, and
  haven't had any water-related problems. I also take
  along a gallon of our water from home when we
  travel so I don't have to worry about local water (or
  lack thereof).
  It pays to consider all these little details of our
  piggies' daily lives - what else do we have to do?
  ;-)
  Susi & the Okie Piggies