[Gpdd] [GPDD] Care - Slave Training

Susi Eastin ok.cavylodge at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 14:48:29 EDT 2006

(to avoid overloading the digest with numerous posts, I'll condense
  several at once here)

  Audrey-
  Your story about Gordon's use of the corner box cracks me up!
  You may remember my story of Snowy's approach to their
  playground equipment (a small, round plastic sled, turned upside
  down, with one side resting on a box to raise it a foot or so off
  the floor).  Somehow she had dislodged it, dropping it down
  flat on the floor - with her underneath it, of course!  She then
  proceeded to bounce it up in the air and move along the floor,
  occasionally stopping to peek out. Snowy the Turtle!

  Kathy-
  You may not have read our story about the Leash.  ;-)
  I, too, thought it sounded like a good idea. Not to walk
  them, of course, just an extra safety measure, like
  wearing suspenders with your belt.  Well, I tried the
  harness and leash on Snowy indoors. She froze.
  Wouldn't move. So we went outdoors and I set her
  in the grass. Same thing, wouldn't move. That was
  no fun, so I took her back in and tried it with CocoPuff.
  Same thing. Statue.  Then he suddenly launched
  himself into the air, toward the building, until he
  hit the end of the leash. Straight down, just like
  in the cartoons. Then he froze again. But only
  for a moment, then he launced again, this time
  slipping free of the harness, and hit the ground
  running, headed for the shrubbery. Luckily I was
  ready and managed to grab him just before he
  disappeared beneath the bushes, or I might not
  have found him again. We were both so scared
  that we went back indoors where it was safe.
  Good luck with your leash adventures!

  Joan-
  If you're buying Oxbow hay, or most other packaged
  hay, you're not likely going to have to worry about
  mold. We see that in the square bales like we feed
  to horses, and the large round bales for cattle. It is
  where it is darkened (a grey, not the usual brown as
  with dead grass), slightly musty.  You'd know it if
  you saw it.  When we get a bale that's been on
  damp ground and the bottom gets moldy, we just
  discard the bad part, checking the rest as we feed it.
  Right now the hay we have has some thornbushes
  throughout it, so I have to really sift through each bit
  I feed. I prick my fingers now and then, but it saves
  the piggies' little lips.

  Ann-
  I definitely know what you mean about stampeding -
  we have regular stampedes here at the Cavy Lodge.
  And it can be just one pig!  How does one little pig
  make so much noise?!!

  Susi and the Thundering Herd of Okie Piggies
  ('in a cloud of dust, and a hearty Hi-O Snowy!')