[Gpdd] Broken toe?

RSilhan rsilhan at mc.net
Fri Aug 25 09:27:25 EDT 2006

Hi Kelly,
My Halston broke his toe in his younger days. He was always kind of
wild, running circles in his cage if he was startled. One day, we found
him on the other side of a fence dividing the large cage. We figured
that he scaled the wall and probably his foot got caught on the rungs.
Ouch!!! One of his feet looked more swollen than the other one. He's all
black and gray, so we didn't notice any bruising. He didn't seem to be
in any particular pain. Anyway, we took him to the vet and had it
x-rayed. He had broken one of the toes. The vet said that it couldn't be
splinted because he'd just chew it off. So it was just left of heal on
its' own. The swelling did go down after a couple of days. One toe still
kind of points in a different direction than all the others and he has a
little bump on the top of his foot, but it doesn't seem to bother him in
the least. One good outcome from this was that I think he figured out
that going over the wall was probably not a good idea. I don't remember
him ever doing it again. LOL
I guess I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get
worse. If it is broken, I doubt that the vet splint it anyway.
Good luck,
Roxanne and the Herd