[Gpdd] health: Patch has a probable lung tumor

Leila Baldridge keegsmom at cablelynx.com
Thu Aug 31 15:23:12 EDT 2006

 Patch is one of my rescues, a female of unknown age, but definately not a young girl. I have had her for several years. I call her "Peaceable Patch" because she gets along with everyone and everypig. She  was recently seen by the vet for mites (we never knew where they came from!) but otherwise was in good health. Then she began just not seeming quite "right", a little sluggish, not being quite as eager at the food dish--but nothing really obvious. This went on for several days. Then I noticed that when she got excited she started breathing hard. Still no coughing, discharge, or anything. But I was worried and took her to the vet. He X-rayed her and found what appears to be a large tumor in her lungs.

We decided to try a course of Baytril, in case the tumor might be masking a pneumonia that was causing the immediate decline in health. As of now, she is breathing easier and eating better. She doesnt have much energy and won't push her way into the food with the others, so I give her a chance at the veggies by herself. She does not seem to be in any pain.

I realize her chances for recovery are nil. At this point I just want to make her comfortable for as long as possible, and I pray I will know when its time to let her go. It seems like such a short time since Bryn left us.  I am very sad to have to accept that Patch will probably be joining her soon.

Does anyone have experience with lung tumors in piggies? What should I expect? Is it likely to be a matter of weeks, or even less?  Thanks for listening, and any info you may have.

Leila and the Six Little Pigs