[Gpdd] Health-Blood in Urine

Folly Farm lfolly at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 1 01:33:34 EST 2006

Please help!

In the 8 months that I've had my 10 month old pig, Keely, I've seen blood down by her privates and heard her squeaking when she pees 3 separate times.  She also seems to be 'leaky' down there like she's always dribbling small amounts of urine.  The first 2 times the vet palpated her bladder and felt nothing unusual, then did a  urinalysis that was normal (no white cells, no blood, normal ph).  So he treated her those 2 times times for a urinary infection sending her home with Enrofloxacin (baytril) and wipes urine scald.  She got better those 2 times.  Then on this past Sunday night blood in the urine again and squeaking when peeing..  So first thing Monday we took her in and he did 2 x-rays and we didn't see any stones, so he sent off a urine culture this time, and it came back comletely normal with no bacteria.  Does anyone know what's going on or had any similar situations?  We're perplexed.  I'm very careful about the calcium and protein levels the pigs get, and none of my other 6 have ever had a problem.  We also keep the cage really clean and I clean her privates once a day. Our vet suggests another urine culture and perhaps an ultrasound.   I appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks,

Lisa Stanley & The San Diego Herd
Brody, Keely, Shayla, Genevyeve, Bronwyn, Delaney & Shayla