[Gpdd] HEALTH: Long teeth. Tyndale.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Dec 5 08:42:28 EST 2006

Hi Joylania,

If any of my piggies aren't eating well I always panic that the problem is
their teeth and I rush them over to my wonderful rodentologist who uses a
clever little wire device to hold their mouths open so that he can see
inside. You can see one of these devices on Peter Gurney's website. Look at
http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/dentalproblems.htm . This is quite painless to
the piggy and it is easy to see any tooth troubles, which can then be
rectified.

Your vet will probably have to use a hand held device with a little light on
the end to look inside your piggy's mouth. Not anything like as effective
but at least he will have some idea what is going on. Often the back teeth
overgrow and trap the piggy's tongue so that he can't eat. Or a sharp edge
on a molar will rub against his mouth causing pain.

Piggy books will tell you that drooling is a sign of dental problems (
though I have found that this is not always the case ). Watch Tyndale
eating. Is he having trouble picking up his food or biting pieces from a
favourite food such as a carrot. Are there pieces of uneaten food lying
about in his home? Whatever you find, take him to your vet asap. If he is
unable to eat, he will need help.

Good luck. The Piggyfriends send their love to Tyndale.

Penny.