[Gpdd] MISC-Yucky Cavy Show

Folly Farm lfolly at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 5 05:13:28 EST 2006

My husband and I went to our very first cavy show on Saturday (Dec 2) in our hometown of Santee, California.  We had been looking forward to it for months.  We were planning on either adopting a retired show sow or a baby sow that wasn't 'show quality'.  Wow.  We'd never been to a cavy show before and were shocked at how 'pretentious' and  callous most of the vendors were.  We were really upset.   When we weren't being trampled for the cages and pens on sale, we noticed most of the poor pigs were treated as 'product' and were sort of man-handled and those that were for adoption were REALLY filthy and or obviously rarely, if ever,  been handled.  Plus, at least 25% (for adoption) were pregnant, including tiny (pregnant) baby sows!  One lady that was showing was actually laughing and saying that 20 of her 'show' pigs had been eaten by 'coons' before the previous show (I know, maybe you should keep them inside, you IDIOT).  We just left, with me in tears and my husband disgusted.  Please tell me this was just a bad show,and that most people actually do love and respect their pigs.  Or is it just us?

No more shows for us,

Lisa Stanley & the San Diego Herd