[Gpdd] MISC-Yucky Cavy Show

Briarpatch Briarpatch at hughes.net
Tue Dec 5 14:06:03 EST 2006

Contrary to what has been posted about this topic, most cavy shows are
wonderful experiences with many helpful people.  There are lovely
animals at these shows both for sale and being shown.  Most animals in
carriers have food, water and hay available to them and although those
carriers may not be to your cage standards, they are small to insure the
animal's well being while being transported... call it a 'seat belt' if
you will.  As cavy showrooms are normally small, there is not much room
available for large, cumbersome cages.

It is untrue that cavy show people don't love their piggies as you do,
they just don't keep them in their living rooms as many pet folk do.  If
you've ever purchased a pedigreed animal, you will see that most of the
animals in the background have names, yes, real names and not just
numbers.  I show my animals.  They are all named and I know each one
personally.   I breed my animals and they are named when they are born.
  I know them all by sight and know their distinctive personalities.
They are groomed and played with regularly.   They get treats, hay and
fresh vegetables daily.  Animals that I sell, if I have any available,
are not rejects.  They are healthy, quality animals.  If an animal is
not to perfection, I will not sell it.  And although sometimes an animal
might have a color fault making them unshowable, they are by no means
inferior animals.

The show arena is a busy place wherever it may be.  Many cavy exhibitors
and breeders may seem unfriendly but it is really not the case.  They
are busily trying to properly enter their animals and are preparing
their animals for the judge, fixing their cages with food and many other
things that need to be done at a show.  If you are polite and give them
time, they will be more than helpful to you with any questions you might
have.

I know nothing about the Show that started this thread as I am in the
New England area, not California.  I have never seen the conditions
around here which were described.  Pregnant babies?  How awful!  Dirty
pens?  How horrible!  No, not around here.  It must have been a bad show
indeed.  I would suggest you give it another try at another location
sometime in the future.  Or better yet, if you are seriously interested
in a little sow or retired breeder, try to personally contact a show
breeder in your area.  If you don't know of any, perhaps I can help.
Even though I am in New England, the cavy world is a small one and
breeders throughout the country are in touch with one another
regularly.  Don't expect the worst as most show breeders are wonderful
caring people.  Give them a chance because in the long run, they will be
able to help you with a lot of questions you may have down the line.

My view from the other side............
Penny

	Briar Patch Caviary
	www.BPCaviary.com